In the world of towing, safety is a must. Safety begins with the trailer hook-up. We sell truck trailers near Minneapolis MN, and we have a few tips for those who are just learning and will be towing a trailer for the first time or for those who have been around the block and just need a little refresher. Here are a few tips from the pros at Trailers & More in St. Paul / Minneapolis on hooking up a trailer.
- Make sure the ball is correct for the trailer you are about to tow. The size of the required ball is stamped on the trailer coupler.
- Drop the trailer coupler onto the hitch ball. Make sure the locking latch on the trailer is securely locked to the ball and that it is a nice tight fit.
- Place a locking pin through the lever to keep it secure while driving.
- Secure safety chains by crossing them under the coupler and hooking them into the hitch loops. The chains should be long enough to allow for tight turns but not so long that they drag on the ground.
- If your trailer is equipped with a break away cable, attach the cable to the hitch.
- Plug in your lights and test your turn signals and running lights.
- Check the tire pressure of both the vehicle and trailer. (Look in your owner’s manual and on the tire sidewalls for the trailer for the correct tire pressure.) Tires with too much or too little pressure can cause trailer sway.
- If your trailer is hydraulic, check your hoses and hydraulic fluids.
- Make sure all gates/doors are securely locked.
- Make sure all cargo is stored securely so that it won’t move during transit.
- Adjust your mirrors. You want to be able to see as much of the road around you and behind you as possible.
Be sure to read your vehicles owner’s manual to determine what kind of towing package you need and how much weight your vehicle can safely pull. Some vehicles/trailers require special equipment such as tension bars, adjusting chains, anti-sway controls, electric brakes and so on. Each trailer may have its own set of hook up instructions. The steps listed here are a general guide and not intended to replace any manufacturer instructions.
We hope these tips were helpful. Safe travels!
Do you want more information on truck trailers near Minneapolis MN? Call Trailers & More at 651-451-1808, visit our store at 1000 9th Avenue South, in South St. Paul or you can Contact Us.